Saturday, April 20, 2013

Stuff I've found lately.

Thrifting is funny sometimes, and if you are a complete cloths whore, such as myself, it can be downright amazing. I'm a firm believer in the idea, that, everything you've ever wanted can be had at a thrift store. The key is going often, and having a bit of luck with being in the right place at the right time. I'm not talking vintage sports cars or gold bullion, I'm talking about clothes, furniture, and random stuff for your house. The general things that most thrift stores carry. And so it was that I happened upon this jacket today. I honestly believe I willed this jacket to myself today.
I was ebay stalking this exact jacket all winter and even checked them out at Macy's and the like. However, being the thrifty gentleman that I am, I was not willing to shell out upwards of $400 of my hard earned dollars at retail. I bought something similar from Topman last year at a deep discount, one in green and one in black, but they were just not the kind of quality I was looking for. Don't get me wrong, they did the job quite well for almost a year. But as I got a better grasp of what good clothing is, I realized that I needed to step my quilted hunting jacket game up. Eventually I stumbled upon an awesome, vintage Mackintosh for Barney's, green quilted version. This also served me well until I came across what I was looking for.


The Barbour Liddesdale, pretty much the grail quilted jacket as far as thrifting goes. I found this in the woman's section at one of the dirtiest thrifts that I frequent, all for the princely sum of $6 and in my size too boot! Needless to say, I was elated and I ended up selling my previous coats on ebay.  I thought I was all set with this type of jacket until I found this.

I generally avoid Coach products, mostly because all that I had come across so far were a bunch of fake purses and a fuck ugly button down shirt. This however, was different. Even before I saw who the maker was, it practically jumped off the rack at me. I could tell that is was lux from the hand of the fabric and the leather trim. Whereas the Barbour feels rougher and would be good with a tewwd sportcoat, the Coach is very soft. Something you could toss on over a sharp suit.
       At this point, I really thought I didn't need another quilted jacket, but then, the thrift gods feel the need to throw you a bone. Which brings be back to the original intent of this post.


 The Ralph Lauren jacket is the best of both worlds, in my opinion. It has all the bells and whistles. It's soft, like the Coach, but it has the leather shoulder pad, in case you need to rest that over and under you just discharged at a group of pheasants. The neck latch, so your neck wont get cold when the weather turns inclement. The corduroy collar, the plaid lining, etc. Basically what I'm saying, is I finally think I'm good in the quilted hunting type jacket. That is, until I find a red one. Happy thrifting everybody!






No comments:

Post a Comment