Saturday, January 14, 2012

Boots....and Barkley......


 I was having a conversation with my wife the other day about how we both lacked proper winter footwear until recently, she, having had nothing but her rubber wellington's through the entire winter and I, nothing but Nike Dunk high tops. A sad state of affairs indeed. Well, that has all changed, thanks to the plentiful thrifting grounds that are the wonderful city of Chicago.
    I know I haven't posted in awhile, and I didn't even finish my last post, so please forgive me, I've been really busy working and watching Murder, She Wrote. However, what with the first substantle snow fall we've had so far this winter, I thought a post on winter boots, and boots in general would be timely. So, off we go!

First up: These made in Canada bad asses are the "Kaufman" by Sorel. These have been my go to winter boots so far. Whether it's to take the dog for a walk, or just running to the corner for some eggs and milk, these boots are super warm, comfortable and pretty damn cool looking. Sorel is known for making high quality boots that last a long time. I'd say I have to agree, I believe these to be from the 80's based on the inner tag. With a removable lining for easy cleaning, these boots can't be beat and all for the low price of $8.60! Which is kind of funny because just the other day, the new J. Crew catalog came in the mail and they had boots very similar to these in the $200 price range.

Picked these up for my wife for $4 I think, they are also Sorel's, the "Manitou". She says they keep her feet very warm, a huge improvement from rubber rain boots I'd say.

Next up: These are Eddie Bauer's, but made in Canada by Sorrel. I just picked these up the other day from the same thrift store that I got the first pair from, these were also $8.60. I believe these to be from the 90's and I/'m still deciding which I like better. (edit: I walked to work in these yesterday, about 6 1/2 miles, through the Chicago city street slop/mush, and my piggies were kept dry and toasty the entire way!)


These are my beloved Red Wings from the 70's. Ever time I wear them, I get a complement, I'm not sure if it's the color (which I've never seen another quite like) or what, but these shoes elicit comments and looks. I would recommend these to anyone who has never owned a pair, as they can go with anything short of a full on suit. These were also the most expensive of the bunch at $70 off ebay but, I still consider that to be a superb deal.
 These are the boots I probably wear the most. They are definitely the most versatile.  A pair of vintage mid 90's Timberland chuckka/boat shoes. I paid all of $4.00 for the beauties.  Not as waterproof as the others  mentioned so far, but super rugged for hitting the trail.....or the pavement, whichever the case may be. When I found these, they were pretty beat up, dirty, scuffed. I got them home cleaned and polished them and gave them a new pair of leather laces and poof!, they looked brand new. One mans trash truly is another mans treasure. And don't let a name like Timberland fool you. Yes they were known in the late 90's to early 00's to have produced some really shitty and or ugly clothing and boots, but they used to make really nice stuff and it seems as though they have been trying to get back to that as of late.

No comments:

Post a Comment